The Memory Course
Learn the Method of Loci, AKA the Memory Palace Technique – as used by Sherlock!
Then learn Asia‘s countries & capitals!
Instructed by Kim Debling
The Memory Palace technique, AKA the Method of Loci is a very powerful tool for us mortal humans to learn vast amounts of facts, figures, lists and words that seem impossible. This course guides you to be able to use the Method of Loci by building your own imaginary journey and associating memorable images with each place.
You don’t need to have an amazing memory like Rain Man and you don’t need to take hours reciting – you just need the ability to visualise and the willingness to learn!
We’ll actually apply the method by memorising Asia’s countries and their capitals in alphabetical order. At the end you’ll be able to reel off the countries and their capitals forwards, and often backwards too! You’ll know that Azerbaijan’s capital is Baku and that South Korea’s capital is Seoul – without Googling it!
We’ll look at applying this method to anything you want to memorise in the future, and discuss how creating a memorised list becomes a ‘frame’ that future learning can be built upon – memorising a structure within a subject makes learning the rest of that subject easier and more interesting.
I’ve built this course using pictures and occasional animations to help the memorable visualisations stick in your head easier, and I’ve provided links to supplementary information should you wish to further your learning both for the geography element and the Method of Loci technique, BUT I’ve deliberately kept the course quite short in time – I want you to see how quickly you can memorise things and I want you to have more time to go out afterwards and apply your new memorising technique.
[read more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
I can’t wait to help you to learn this amazing, powerful technique. It will change your life!
What are the requirements?
- students will need paper and two different colour pens
- students will find it easier if they have some knowledge of famous people as they are used in examples, but they can always look up these people or substitute in their own imagery
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 33 lectures and 3 hours of content!
- recite Asia’s countries and capitals in alphabetical order
- apply the Method of Loci technique to memorise lists
What is the target audience?
- people who desire to add to their available techniques to apply to learning
- people who are happy to try new things, including visualisation
- people who speak English as their first language, or who are extremely fluent
- people who are not offended by cliches, stereotypes and imagery that is in poor taste, as this is used in the course as a recognised memory aid
- Discuss the Method of Loci
- Lets create our first Memory Palace journey
- Mapping out our journey (you will need paper and pens)
- Asia – Afghanistan to Indonesia
- Asia – Iran to North Korea
- Test yourself
- Create an additional stage to our Memory Palace journey
- Asia – South Korea to Pakistan
- Test yourself
- Asia – Philippines to Saudi Arabia
- Create the last stage to this Memory Palace Journey
- Asia – Singapore to Yemen
- Test Yourself
- Using your new memorised information as a frame for learning
- Creating more Memory Palace journeys
For the detailed course content click here
Kim Debling, Air Traffic Controller & Entrepreneur
Kim Debling is an Air Traffic Controller by day and an entrepreneurial business owner by night. She has a thirst for learning and passing on her knowledge that perfectly aligns with what Udemy offers.
In Air Traffic Control she is a supervisor, instructor and examiner – guiding new Air Traffic Controllers as they come into the job and then signing them off as suitable to control solo. It is a rewarding experience – especially when they are then controlling aircraft that you are ultimately responsible for whilst supervising!
In her ‘spare time’ (business hours) Kim exercises her creativity by building websites, digital products, designing packaging and generally stretching her left brain hemisphere. Her honours degree was in Internet Computer Science and she has kept up to date with many skills and built upon them.
- Lectures 33
- Video 3 Hours
- Skill Level Beginner Level
- Languages English
- Includes Lifetime access
30 day money back guarantee!
Available on iOS and Android
Certificate of Completion